Boughs or “brush” can be used for a variety of festive holiday decorations, or sell it to your customers and allow them to create their own holiday masterpieces.
Brush Packaging Tips and Tricks
Pack the brush with tips at the corner and stalks in the center with the top side of the brush facing the ground. When the box is half full, flip the brush over so the top side of the brush is facing up, when the brush is about 6” above the top of the box, your bale should weigh about 50 lbs.
Below is a drawing to show how the twine is positioned into the box. The measurement for the box for 50 lb. bales of the brush is 3’x2’x16”. The twine is inserted into slots in the box. We require the 50 lb. bales of brush to have Flagging Tape tied on the twine to identify them in the yard.
25 lb BOX: 30” long – 19” wide – 12” high
When the brush is about 4” above the top of the box, your bale should weigh about 25 lbs.
BALSAM FIR BRUSH
PLEASE KEEP THE FOLLOWING GUIDELINES IN MIND WHEN MAKING BALES OF BALSAM FIR BRUSH.
- Normally, the length of the brush should be anywhere from 18” to 22”. Stocks could be up to 30” long if the brush is thick and full.
- The stalk of the brush should be NO SMALLER than the diameter of a pencil and NO LARGER than the diameter of a dime.
- Stalks MUST BE CUT, not broken.
- Select stalks with only DARK GREEN NEEDLES.
- Select CLEAN branches without moss.
- Branches or stalks should be FULL with NO BARE SPOTS.
- Do NOT CUT from a sheared tree.
- Branches may be cut from young or old trees, as long as it is full and of a dark green color.
- Bales should be TIED SECURELY as they are handled many times.
- PLEASE WATCH FOR DRYNESS. We suggest that brush be stored up off the ground so that air can circulate under it.
- Do NOT pile brush any more than two or three bales high.
- Avoid COLD, DAMP conditions until delivered to the yard.
Following these simple guidelines will ensure that you bring quality Balsam Fir Brush to market.